Thursday, September 3, 2015

Wild by Cheryl Strayed, a Book Review

All I can say about this book is : DRAMA, DRAMA,& MORE DRAMA. Suspense. Surprises. Resupply boxes. Peaks, boots, pain, and persistence. Reading her story was hard to put down. She exposes things in her life both shocking to admit for most people as well as very personal. I was not use to such honesty in a book. I enjoyed her descriptions of every place she stopped and how she brought out the emotional part of long distance hiking. Having never hiked long distances before, I became more intrigued after reading, A Walk in the Woods, by Bill Bryson on the Appalachian Trail. Hiking with Cheryl through the Pacific Crest Trail(PCT), I learned quite a few things more about hiking. The experience between men hiking and women hiking is different. Hitch hiking is harder for men then women. Cheryl ran into more people offering anything from cheap lodging to free food. The PCT was basically tent camping, no shelters like the Appalachian Trail (AT). She was hiking alone. A scary thought to me, but admirable. It takes a lot of courage to do what she did. I was dreading to finish this book just as Cheryl was not looking forward to leaving the trail at the Bridge of the Gods. The only thing I would have liked was a better ending with more about what she did once she got back to Portland. She gives a short review of the events, but I would have liked to see how she acclimated back to life. The ending is a little disappointing.

No comments:

Post a Comment